Tuesday 19 November 2013

Reflections...

The past 10 weeks have been wonderful on this course! A reflective blog entry was in order :)

Coming to university with an empty mind proved to be a challenge. Knowing nothing about how: school or university worked, to be in a classroom, to be taught; having amnesia was a big hurdle to cross. 

Positive Experiences? 

Upon arriving here at Oxford Brookes University, I learnt how to relax and go with the flow. The teachers and my classmates have both proved to be wonderful and have added to my experience. I've had nothing but positive experiences here.

Challenges I have faced

The biggest problem I have probably faced was trying to keep up with everyone in the class and trying to keep my disability hidden as much as I could. Reading everyday so as to not sound or seem 'dumb' in front of my peers proved to be more taxing than I had imagined. 

Surprises!

I've learnt that I'm quite good at essay writing! This was a major surprise to me as this was what I had anticipated to be my major fault, however I have proved myself wrong and my confidence in essay writing has risen considerably. 

New understandings? 

Unlike many people on the course, I understand something new everyday.
~ How to interact with other people from different backgrounds,
~ How to put my views on an issue across.

Expectations 

It's only human nature to expect a great deal of something before experiencing it first hand. I for one have been taught to not expect too much so the feeling of disappointment will not be as strong as one with high expectations when something fails. However, all my expectations have been met! Not once have I felt disappointed. The teachers have been extremely warm and welcoming, with an enthusiasm for teaching which inspires me to learn and to make them proud as well as myself and my family. My classmates have been nothing but friendly and fun which helped me to settle down sooner than I expected.  

Changes 

Since starting University a few weeks back, I have grown as a person. I have started thinking more globally as well as critically; this was only achieved due to the plain fact that I was surrounded by many cultures, opinions and ideas. I have learnt to take other peoples opinions into accounts, analyse them then make a statement whether I agree or disagree without coming off rude or ignorant. 

I have definitely changed the way I learn. I have always been an independent learner, but I was introduced to group work here at Oxford Brookes University which I have thoroughly enjoyed. Hearing other views have really shaped the way I know look at learning. 

Carrying forward skills onto the next semester

I'll carry the following skills forward to the next semester:
~ Essay writing skills - knowing how to reference properly as well as the organisation of writing an essay from brainstorming right up to the final draft.
~ Presentation skills - being confident in front of an audience and knowing how to command a room.
~Debating skills - being able to thinking quickly on my feet.
~Being able to think critically and analytically at the same time.

I have thoroughly enjoyed my time on this orientation experience, it has been extremely helpful in all aspects and I am ecstatic that I was able to take this course before starting my undergraduate study.

Jaymi



No comments:

Post a Comment